Community Outreach for Children
Since children often drive families’ decisions about dog ownership, one of Dog-Harmony’s greatest focuses remains on the relationship between children and dogs, developing programs to promote positive interactions through proper behavior.
Did You Know?
- Each year, 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs, with 1 in 5 needing medical attention, according to the Humane Society of the United States.
- More than half of all victims are children, with the highest rate among ages 5 to 9.
- Most bites are caused by the family dog or the pet of a neighbor or relative.
- Studies show that through interacting with animals, children develop greater empathy and kindness in addition to self-esteem, confidence, and social skills.
We have partnered with local schools to provide free humane education classes, equipping students with easy-to-follow tips on interacting with dogs. These classes teach children proper ways to pet and play with dogs, dog body language, and how to react if a dog bites in addition to the key elements of responsible pet ownership, team building, and compassion.
Our Book: Human & Dog-Harmony
Dog-Harmony partnered with a local artist to develop supplementary materials for its school workshops, and in this process, Human & Dog-Harmony was written. While created to be utilized in tandem with our school workshops, this book is an excellent resource for parents to teach their children the elements of being a responsible pet owner along with the proper ways to pet and play with dogs, dog body language, and how to react if a dog bites.
Human & Dog-Harmony can be purchased on Amazon.
Kids and Canine Camps
Our kids and canine camps are custom 3-hour specially scheduled programs designed specifically for each group. Each camp teaches responsible pet ownership, compassion, and team building. Our camps are great for at-risk youth or individuals with disabilities.
- Each camp has 2 craft stations, 1 cooking station, and a dog handling station.
- Dogs participating in the program are Dog-Harmony alumni or dogs-in-training for our therapy programs.
- One snack break is included.
To book a Kids and Canines Camp, contact Nancy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bark For Books
Get your kids excited about reading and keep an eye out for our Bark for Books program. We’ve partnered with our local libraries to foster self-confidence and communication skills by providing a dog to create a positive reading environment and experience. Dogs used in this program are Dog-Harmony alumni or dogs in training for our therapy programs. Check out our events page to see when the next Bark for Books session will be.