Community Outreach for Children
Sometimes it’s hard to be a dog owner. With few regulations on what qualifies a dog trainer, inhumane items on the shelves, and trying to navigate through the “wild west” of dog ownership is frustrating. However, Dog-Harmony is here to help! We focus on humane education and fear free training methods that benefit our community. Be sure to visit our educational library for more resources.
Our nonprofit offers workshops and low-cost training classes to help you be a better dog owner.
Our Book: Human & Dog-Harmony
There is a direct correlation to how we treat our pets and how we treat each other.
Knowing this, Dog-Harmony offers a class to teach children responsible pet ownership, compassion, and to make an emotional connection with their FURever friend.
The 30-minute class includes how to approach dogs, proper ways to interact, train, and how to understand your dog’s body language. These classes can be taught at Dog-Harmony’s headquarters, civic organizations, and schools. They can be taught with or without the use of a live animal.
*Children receive dog and human harmony
*Virtual class available soon
*Grants are available for this program
Did You Know?
- More than 1,700 local children have already taken the class.
- Each year, 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs, with 1 in 5 needing medical attention, according to the Humane Society of the United States.
- More than half of all victims are children, with the highest rate among ages 5 to 9.
- Most bites are caused by the family dog or the pet of a neighbor or relative.
Check out this chart (and download!) as a baseline for learning how to greet a dog and what to avoid.
To learn more, contact Dog-Harmony at 850- 376-4190 or by email at email@example.com.
Kids and Canine Camps
Our kids and canine camps are custom 3-hour programs designed specifically for each group. Each camp teaches responsible pet ownership, compassion, and team building. Our camps are great for at-risk youth or individuals with disabilities. We offer the camps quarterly for ages 6-12 years old and limit class capacity to 15 kids. Check out our events page for dates.
- Each camp has 2 craft stations, 1 cooking station, and a dog handling station.
- Dogs participating in the program are Dog-Harmony alumni or Dogs in training for therapy through the intermountain therapy organization.
- One snack break is included.
- Lunch provided upon request.
- Grants are available for this camp.
Bark For Books
Get your kids excited about reading and schedule a time in the Dog-Harmony reading room! Bring your own book or choose from some of our favorites. Dogs used in this program are Dog-Harmony alumni or dogs in training for R.E.A.D. programs through Intermountain Therapy.
*Donations are appreciated for this 45-minute session.
Free Training Advice for Rescued Pets
Dog-Harmony offers free training advice for rescued dogs with behavioral problems, such as jumping, leash pulling, potty training and separation anxiety.
Training advice is offered by Nancy Bown, Dog-Harmony’s founder and Certified Professional Dog Trainer – Knowledge Assessed (CPDT – KA). Bown can help over the phone, or better yet, after meeting the pet at Dog-Harmony headquarters at 237 Market Street in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. No shock collars or choke collars are used and Bown is a force-free trainer.
Support these programs through donations of:
- Monetary donations
- Walmart gift cards
- Michaels gift cards
- Old t-shirts and fleece
- Children friendly books about dogs